Have you ever heard the saying, “The lazy days of summer?” If you are anything like me, there are few to no lazy days in the summer time heat. My calendar quickly fills up with work to do around my home and yard, parties, and travel.
The fact is that sometimes I am very stressed in the summertime.
I have learned that, as the quote above suggests, when I am feeling the most stress and pressure to accomplish things, that is the very moment I need to slow down and intentionally relax my mind and body in order to take good care of myself.
Here are some tips to help you relax your body and mind this summer and soak up all the wonderful moments this time has to offer.
1. Go outside– When the weather is dreary, it becomes a habit to stay inside. As soon as a sunny day makes an appearance, commit yourself to being outside as much as possible. Eat lunch outside. Instead of going to the gym, take a rigorous hike or ride your bike.
2. Unplug– Use the summer as an excuse to be in vacation mode. Check your email only once or twice a day. Read a book, like a real book with pages, watch the stars beside a fire instead of the TV, or listen to the sounds of nature rather than your ipod.
3. Go on an adventure– Go hiking, biking, walking through the great outdoors. Do something new and fun! Bring a friend along for the adventure!
4. Intentionally slow down– Mindfully do one task at a time enjoying the experience. Politely decline invitations when you are feeling overwhelmed. Say no to too much and enjoy the experience of what you are doing at the moment.
5. Take time off– Use up some of your vacation or personal time at work and give yourself some free time with no expectations. Take a walk. Enjoy your time off!
6. Create some ‘me’ time– Be sure to carve out 10-15 minutes a day for you to just sit and be. Sit outside and breathe in the fresh air. Feel the healing sunlight on your skin. Enjoy the sound of nature around you.
7. Breathe deeply– When you feel stress coming on, Stop, breathe deeply and relax. Sometimes taking a 2 minute break to breathe and relax can save you hours of stress in the long run.
Take good care of yourself this summer and learn to relax and enjoy the sunshine!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.