In my previous post: Healing the Spleen System to Holistically find Improved Health and Wellbeing, I describe a spleen deficient person as having the habit of worrying too much. Worry can be very draining on a person’s happiness and wellbeing by taking up much of the day focusing on negative thoughts. The stress brought on by worry can impact both our mental and physical health negatively and keep us up at night.
Here is a list of ten sure fire ways to stop excessive worrying and begin a happier life.
1. Set aside short ‘worry time’– Rather than spending all day, every day worrying, give yourself a 30 minute window to focus on your worries. By limiting the time you spend worrying, you free up the majority of your day to think positive thoughts. Hey– you might even get to a point when you spend the 30 minutes of worry time thinking of solutions to your problems!
2. Journal— By writing down your worries, you free yourself from having to repeatedly think the same thoughts over and over again. This technique helps you empty your mind of your fears and allows you to be more open to seeing the positive pieces of life!
3. Accept the worry— Often when someone tries to stop worrying all the time, they fall into a cycle of worrying about worrying. Instead of falling into this vicious cycle, don’t stress yourself out, accept that you worry and move on.
4. Practice relaxing— Stop. Breathe deeply. Relax your mind and body. Give yourself time each day to practice relaxing as it will help you put life in perspective. You have a lot of positive things happening in your life; relax and notice them!
5. Confront problems head on— It is usually not the problem that causes the worry but rather the anticipation of the problem. We worry how others might be affected or react to a particular issue. Rather than worry about the anticipation, deal with the problem head on and you will no longer have anything to worry about.
6. Make a decision— Often we worry about unresolved personal or business issues. When you are worrying to the point of stressing your body and mind, it is time to make a decision. Once you decide what to do, you can take steps to insure the best possible outcome.
7. Get your heart pumping— Exercise is a predictable suggestion to reduce stress but only because it has been proven to do so time and time again. Exercise has been shown to be as effective as medication for anxiety and worry. It gets the serotonin, or happy brain chemical, going as well as reduces the effects of stress.
8. Be mindful— The most effective strategies to stop worrying may be ones based in mindfulness, which involves nonjudgmental awareness of present thoughts and emotions, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy strategies. Particularly when it involves changing thinking styles to disengage from emotional response to worry and encourages more positive and constructive ways of thinking.
9. Distract yourself— Call a friend. Read a good book. Watch a funny movie. Take the kids or dog to the park. Take a walk. There are dozens of things you can do instead of being stuck in a thinking pattern of worry.
10. Prepare for the worst & hope for the best— This advice comes straight from the pages of Dale Carnegie’s book “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living”. Accept the worst possible outcome and then take action to improve upon the worst.
If you are someone who finds they spend much of their day worrying, I hope these 10 suggestions will help you find wind your path away from worry and toward a happier destination!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.