Two-thirds of the human body is made up of water and if we lose just 1% of that, we are considered to be dehydrated. This state can cause symptoms as mild as extreme thirst, headaches, nausea, and dry mouth up to the more severe symptoms of extreme tiredness, loss of consciousness, swelling of the brain and seizures.
Although there is no way to know exactly how much water we should be consuming in a day, the 8 x 8 rule is very popular and most other theories do not differ greatly. So, as a rule of thumb, we should be consuming 8 eight ounce glasses of water each day or a total of 64 ounces every 24 hours. Remember, this is a rule of thumb and you may need to increase this amount if you are exercising strenuously or if you are out in very hot weather.
Here is a compilation of the top 9 tips to stay hydrated and healthy.
1. Avoid city water— The chlorine added to city water is extremely dehydrating. Be sure to drink clean filtered water. Investing in a high quality filter is one of the best things you can do for your health!
2. Get a bigger bottle— Instead of using a small 12 ounce bottle, switch to a one liter bottle and you will always have enough water on hand.
3. Set an alarm— If you are having trouble remembering to drink enough water, set an alarm on your phone and drink a pint of water each time it goes off.
4. Drink a pint of water before each meal— If it’s not convenient for you to drink water throughout the day, try setting a goal to drink a pint of water before each meal. Sip on the water as you make breakfast, as lunch is heating up or as you cook dinner. Not only will this help you stay hydrated, but it can help you feel full faster too!
5. Track how much you drink— As you make the switch to a large water bottle, be sure to find one that has measurements along the side. This way, you will be able to track exactly how much water you are consuming each day.
6. Eat your fluids— You can meet up to 20% of your daily fluid needs by consuming fluid rich foods such as pineapple, watermelon and apples which are 80-90% water!
7. Drink water with a flavor you enjoy— If you are accustomed to drinking flavored juices or sodas, you can still enjoy a refreshing glass of water! Add thin slices of lemons, limes, or even cucumbers to your water bottle to add flavor. The citrus will even help your body absorb the water better!
8. Keep your water in sight— Drinking water needs to be both convenient and easy to remember. Because most people are visual, keep your water bottle or pitcher in plain view. When you get to work take your bottle out and keep it on your desk in plain sight. Keep your water pitcher center front in your refrigerator as a reminder to drink more.
9. Drink when you are hungry— Drink a full glass of water whenever you think you are hungry. We usually feel hunger 5-10 times per day and half or more of those pangs are really thirst cues.
By using some or all of these tips, I hope you will find it easier to consume more fluids throughout the day. Being hydrated is one of the best and easiest things we can do to increase our general health!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.