Honey. Runny, ooey, gooey, sticky, sweet honey. Yum!
Many of you may have noticed that I have written some recipes lately calling for local raw honey. But why? How does local raw honey differ from the plain old yummy honey found on most grocer’s shelves?
The main difference is that it is raw. Were you aware that most of the honey you find in the teddy bear squeeze bottle has been cooked? A lot. In fact, all that is left after it has been boiled for hours is sugar. Any natural enzymes, minerals or nutrition that was present when the honey entered the processing plant are long gone by the time it is packaged and shipped to the local supermarket.
Here is a list of reasons you want to purchase local raw honey whenever you have an opportunity:
1. It is a healthy sweetener– Yes, honey is sugar. No doubt. You don’t want to eat a quart of honey every day for sure. However, when you do get a sweet tooth you must attend to, raw local honey is one of the best choices. All of the natural vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids are still present. It is an excellent substitution for high fructose corn syrup (HFCD) or refined sugar, which is found in way too many processed foods. It is nature’s own sweetener, created by bees from the pollen and nectar of flowering plants.
2. It is antibacterial– Traditional cultures have long used unprocessed honey to dress wounds. According to Peter Molan, a researcher at University of Waikato, New Zealand, the benefits are real. He has noted in his research strong anecdotal evidence that honey can stimulate the regrowth of tissue involved in healing, and act as an anti-inflammatory agent.
3. Local raw honey has distinctive taste– Another casualty of processed honey is taste. Much of the honey found in stores is the combination of many different honeys and when combined, the unique flavor profiles are lost. Honey is the result of the pollen and nectar gathered from flowers found in a certain location during a certain season which leads to a unique flavor. Even within a 50 mile radius, the taste of local honeys will be different.
4. Fights allergies– Because raw honey contains minute particles of pollen from local plants, ingesting it may help build up immunity to the pollen, alleviating springtime allergies.
5. Buying local supports local beekeepers– What a wonderful way to help boost the local environment, buy from local beekeepers!
6. Energy!– Honey provides a ready supply of energy in the form of liver glycogen, making it ideal for energetic morning starts and as a pre- and post-exercise energy source.
7. You know the source– One of the saddest parts of our modern food source system is that we have lost touch with the people who produce the food we eat. By purchasing local raw honey, you are able to meet the beekeeper and put a face with the person who produces your food with love. I purchase mine at the local farmer’s market and am on a first name basis with my beekeeper. Keep your money in the pocket of the local farmers who you know.
Now go out and find a beekeeper to keep you in a supply of uniquely flavored local raw honey!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.