As you may recall, I recently wrote a series about liver health and the importance of the liver system in Chinese medicine. Although there are several ways a sick liver will manifest, there are many more emotional indications than physical ones. It is usually the habitual emotions that give the real signals about the health of the liver. Serious imbalance in the liver will show up as a lot of anger, resentment, jealousy or envy. Anger greatly damages the body because it physically creates poisonous chemicals internally; we are literally poisoning ourselves when we get angry.
If you find yourself feeling anger regularly, please take the time to review and practice these 6 steps to reduce your anger and help improve your overall health and wellbeing.
1. Stop– As you feel your sense of control slipping, or if you hear yelling in your own voice, stop. Take a time out and leave the room. Take as long as you need to calm down and see the situation from a different perspective. Address the situation when you can talk about it without raising your voice or getting out of control.
2. Give yourself some space– You do not have to solve the conflict immediately. Give yourself some time and calm down before you address the issue. You will be able to see the situation more clearly if you separate yourself from it for a while. This could take 5 minutes or 2 days.
3. Breathe deeply– In the heat of the moment, it is likely your heart rate is increased, your breathing is rapid, or your voice is raised. The first step to inner control is to breathe deeply. The extra oxygen will help you calm down and relax, slow your heart rate and allow your brain to resume rational thought.
4. Reflect upon the conflict– Once calm, reflect upon the event that triggered your anger. Try to imagine it happened to someone else, this will help you see it from a more objective position. You may see where your anger came from or you may see that your reaction was way out of proportion.
5. State the problem clearly– Once you see the problem objectively, and honestly see your contribution to it, try to state it plainly and clearly in a sentence or two.
6. Solve– Consider options for solving the conflict. It might be very helpful to discuss the problem with another adult. There is no reason to be alone in finding a resolution.
I hope these 6 techniques will help you take control of your anger and find improved emotional health and peace!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.