Cherry season is in high swing here and I couldn’t be happier! Although eating and cleaning cherries is a messy business– all those pits– once I take my first taste of a ripe cherry just off the tree, all the work becomes a forgotten memory.
Thankfully, these tasty morsels are also very healthy for our bodies!
Here are the top 5 reasons you should eat more cherries:
1. Helps to reduce inflammation– Gout and arthritis pain can be eased by eating cherries. Excess uric acid in the blood is the culprit behind these ailments; the USDA found that uric acid can be reduced by as much as 15% by eating 2 cups of bing cherries a day.
2. Fights cancer– Powerful antioxidants found in cherries called flavonoids, help to fight free radicals in the body. Cyanidin is a flavonoid from the anthocyanin group found in cherries that helps keep cancerous cells from growing out of control. Choosing the deepest crimson-purple cherries will help you to get the most flavonoids.
3. Help you sleep– If you have a difficult time sleeping soundly at night, try drinking tart cherry juice before bed. Tart cherries contain melatonin, a hormone that helps make you feel sleepy. Two tablespoons of tart cherry juice has been shown to be just as effective as a melatonin supplement.
4. Lowers blood pressure– Cherries are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps lower blood pressure by getting rid of the excess sodium in our bodies. Cherries help to balance our levels of potassium and sodium and can prevent hypertension from occurring. Once cup of cherries has the same amount of potassium as a banana.
5. Helps maintain a healthy weight– Cherries contain many B-vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B6; these vitamins are crucial for metabolism and convert nutrients into energy. Also, a cup of cherries is less than 100 calories and packs in 3 grams of fiber so you will feel full longer.
Go get some delicious deep reddish-purple cherries and enjoy!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.