There is something magical about gardening. Be it in a raised bed, container, or large garden plot, you begin with a seed, add only fresh air, water, sunshine and time. Soon you will have your own freshly grown produce to enjoy.
Aside from producing food, gardening has many effects benefitting not only the body, but also the mind and soul. Read on to learn more about these health benefits.
Top 10 reasons to grow a home garden:
1. Food tastes better– Homegrown food tastes better. It just does. I recall the first time I ate homegrown broccoli and wondered what I had been eating all those years because the store bought stuff tasted like cardboard in comparison.
2. Cost effective– purchasing a pouch of seeds and drizzling some water over the plants costs much less than purchasing food grown elsewhere. One broccoli plant may cost $2 to plant and water for the season, but it will produce edible buds for months; enough for many servings, from just one plant, throughout the season.
3. Exercise– Not only will you be eating healthier, but planting a garden also exercises the body. In fact, 45 minutes of gardening burns the same amount of calories as 30 minutes of aerobics.
4. Eating new foods– Growing new foods is one of the best parts of having a garden! You have the choice to purchase heirloom seeds and varieties that may not be available at your local market. Have you ever eaten a lemon cucumber? Grow some! What about a purple snap bean? Grow it! You may even like to try a black tomato or breakfast radishes. No problem, new tastes are just a seed order away.
5. Relieves stress– fresh air, sunshine, the feel of a cool summer rain, or just the feel of sweet smelling earth running through your fingers… these are all part of the wonderful experience of gardening! Fifteen minutes spent in the garden can go a long way to erase a stressful day at work.
6. Knowing what you are eating– By growing your own food, you know exactly what went into it, or more importantly, what did not go into it! Whether it is freshly picked tomatoes, green beans or garlic, you will know that the food is free and clear of any synthetic fertilizers or harmful sprays.
7. Best nutrition– By growing your food as locally as you can (in your own backyard, balcony, or windowsill), you are able to pick it at its peak of ripeness. Which also means it is at it’s peak of flavor and nutrition. There just isn’t time for the nutritional value to decline when food is picked and consumed the same day.
8. Exercise generosity– I don’t know a gardener who can consume everything they grow. One of the greatest pleasures of growing your own food is to give it away. Supplying a nutritious meal for a loved one or neighbor is good for the health of our soul!
9. Practice nurturing and care– By giving care and love to our garden as it grows, it returns the favor and gives us food and nutrition to care for and nurture our bodies. It’s a win-win for our hearts and our bodies!
10. New flavors to try– By having fresh veggies and herbs available at our fingertips, we have the opportunity to try new veggies and combinations of flavors. If we don’t like what we made, we simply go outside and pick more. There is freedom to experiment without the scare of being out of food.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.