Acidosis is a condition that appears when our body’s pH is too acidic and can lead to many health problems. A few of the symptoms associated with high acidity are decreased energy levels, poor oral health, diminished immune function, joint pain, inflammation, inhibited ability to absorb essential minerals and nutrients, reduction of the cell’s capacity to repair itself, and difficulty for the body to detoxify naturally.
Here is a simple list of 10 ways you can jumpstart your body’s path to wellness by alkalizing.
1. Drink lots of water– a rule of thumb to properly detox the acid from your system is 7 oz of water for every 10 lbs of body weight. For example, if you weigh 130 pounds, you should drink about 91 oz (130 divided by 10 x 7) of water a day, or around 3 liters. The quality of the water you drink makes a difference too– be sure to drink filtered water with no chlorine or fluoride.
2. Avoid sugars and sweeteners— Artificial sweeteners are the worst and harm your body in ways other than just acidification. Refined sugar is highly acidic and should be avoided. Generally, honey, agave, or dried fruits are safe but if you are trying to reduce the acidity in the body, it would be wise to avoid natural sugars for a while.
3. Eliminate coffee and sodas— Both of these products are highly acidic and will hinder your efforts to alkalize your body. If you find it difficult to eliminate coffee entirely, you can reduce your intake and switch to a lower acidity coffee.
4. Avoid processed and refined foods— Avoid prepared foods with a long list of ingredients you do not recognize. Do not consume foods with food colorings, preservatives, additives or added flavors. Also avoid white flour, like pastas, breads, cakes, muffins, crackers, croutons… etc. When shopping, buy whole, natural foods and when you must purchase prepared foods, choose those with short ingredient lists containing foods you recognize.
5. Drop dairy from your diet— Cows milk was designed to grow healthy cows, not humans. Dairy causes an increase of mucus in the human body as well as increase the level of acid wastes in the body. Almond, rice, or hemp milk is a great alternative as you transition away from cows milk.
6. Incorporate more greens into your daily meals— Eat a huge salad tossed in high quality olive oil and lemon for lunch. Juice greens for a delicious green smoothie for breakfast. Greens are a wonderful source of alkaline minerals like calcium. Some of the best veggies include cucumbers, celery, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, spinach and carrots.
7. Eliminate meat consumption— Choose poultry or wild caught fish instead of red meats, pork or lamb. These meats can be very acidic and produce a lot of metabolic waste.
8. Eat grapefruit— Grapefruit, like lemons and limes, are great to alkalize the body. They contain a large amount of water and contain a powerful substance to help you detox naturally. Peel and eat it like an orange as it is the thin membrane that separates the segments that contain the detox substance. Remember to leave the sugar off!
9. Reduce stress— Pause. Take time to breath. Don’t sweat the small stuff and reduce stressors as much as possible. Stress plays a huge role in the body’s pH level and also speeds the aging process. Take up yoga, meditation, tai chi, practice deep breathing or get regular massage as a means to take good care of yourself and reduce stress levels.
10. Get up and get moving! — Being active is not only essential to good health, it also increases blood circulation and helps the body to detox naturally. Sweating during exercise also contributes to flushing out toxins including acidic waste. Set small goals for yourself and gradually increase to about 30 minutes of exercise daily.
Be kind to yourself. Start with one or two changes and gradually add in more good habits to help eliminate acidic toxins from your system. Remember that life is about balance and some of these changes are very challenging. Take it one step at a time and eventually you will find improved health and wellbeing.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.