Organic here, organic there, organic everywhere! Everywhere you look these days you see foods proudly displaying the label “organic.” But why? Does it really make a difference in the food we eat or our health?
The simple answer is “YES!” Here are a list of the top 10 reasons you should be eating organic food as much as possible.
1. They are ‘clean’– Organic foods are free of neurotoxins- toxins left in food by pesticides that damage brain and nerve cells. Many pesticides are considered neurotoxins.
2. You cannot wash the pesticides off– Have you ever see the experiment where you place a cut celery stick into a glass with some colored water? Do you remember what happens? In a day or two, the celery begins to turn the color of the water because the color enters the inside of the celery stick along with the water and changes the vegetable. Permanently. You cannot wash the color off because it is now a part of the celery. Now imagine instead of colored water, the celery is sitting in water steeped with pesticides. As the toxic water is incorporated into the food, it becomes a part of it and cannot be simply washed away.
3. Organic foods support children’s growing brains– Children’s growing brains and bodies are far more susceptible to toxins than adults. Choosing organic helps feed their bodies without the exposure to pesticides and genetically-modified organisms, both of which have relatively short history of use (and therefore a relatively limited knowledge of long term safety).
4. More nutritious– In study after study from independent organizations, research has consistently shown organic food is higher in nutrients than traditional foods. Research shows that organic produce is higher in Vitamin C, antioxidants, and the minerals calcium, iron, chromium, and magnesium.
5. Keeps water clean– The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that pesticides pollute the primary drinking source for half the American population. Organic farming is the best solution to the problem. Buying organic helps reduce pollution in drinking water no matter where you live.
6. It is sustainable– Organic food production has been around for thousands of years and is the sustainable choice for the future. Compare that to modern agricultural practices that are destructive of the environment through widespread use of herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers and have resulted in drastic environmental damage in many parts of the world.
7. It tastes better– Compare. It just tastes better. All of the vitamins and minerals are there in the correct balance making it healthier but also much tastier!
8. May reduce your risk of cancer– 60% of herbicides, 90% of fungicides, and 30% of insecticides are considered potentially cancer-causing. It is reasonable to think that the rapidly increasing rates of cancer are at least partly linked to the use of these carcinogenic pesticides.
9. Helps to avoid ADHD– A 2009 study published in Pediatrics suggests that organophosphate pesticide (OP) exposure may contribute to ADHD in children. OP residues are commonly found in non-organic fruits and vegetables like apples, grapes and green beans. Children in the study with higher levels of these pesticides were more likes to have ADHD compared to children with low levels.
10. No GMOs– Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are a horrible mutation of real food. The genetic makeup of the food is toyed with to change something about it. Many times it is to make the food itself have the ability to create toxins to make it pest resistant. The problem with this is that along with making the food toxic to pests, it also makes the food toxic to us. A recent study showed that rats fed GMO corn developed massive tumors and many became infertile. When buying organic you can be confident that you will not be putting GMOs into you or your families bodies.
Even if you would like to eat an all organic diet, price can be restrictive. Start small by buying a few items. The next time you are at the store, purchase a few more. Over time, you will find that you will have stores of all sorts of organic choices in your pantry or refrigerator.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.