Human kind has been using the sun as a means to attain health for millennia. Atapa Snana is the yogic phrase for the healing science of sun bathing and in the West we also have a history of using sunlight therapy called heliotherapy (the ancient Greeks called it heliosis).
So why then, have we seen a huge message of paranoia over the last several decades about spending time in the sun? Health departments urge us to slather ourselves in as much poisonous sunblock as we can get our hands on and as as a result, we are making a whole generation vitamin D deficient with fear of the sun.
We need the sun.
Now I’m not advising you to sit in the sunlight all day to burn up to a crisp. Be out in the sun in the morning and evening. Sit in the shade during the hottest part of the day or cover yourself with lightweight clothing to avoid burning. Be smart about the amount of exposure you give yourself. Just be sure you give yourself as much exposure as your complexion will allow.
Sunlight on our skin allows us to manufacture Vitamin D, which is essential for many functions in our bodies such as bone health, supporting the immune system, protects against brain aging and so much more.
Here is a list of 10 reasons to get more sunshine!
1. Sunlight and whole foods can send breast cancer into remission– The American physician Dr. Zane Kime used sunbathing and nutrition to cure his patients. Even in terminal cases, Dr. Kime was able to completely reverse the metastasized cancer.
2. Reduce risk of Type 2 diabetes– Once thought of as an adult onset disease, type 2 diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in our kids. It is a lifelong disease and more difficult to treat in young people. Some studies suggest that vitamin D can reduce the risk of developing it.
3. Effects skin disorders– Sunlights has a beneficial effect on skin issues such as psoriasis, acne, eczema and fungal infections of the skin.
4. Lowers cholesterol– The sun converts high cholesterol in the blood into steroid hormones and the sex hormones we need for reproduction. In the absence of sunlight, the opposite happens; substances convert to cholesterol.
5. Strong bones– Vitamin D boosts calcium absorption for strong bones, which means you’re less likely to develop bone diseases, fractures and osteoporosis.
6. Eye health– Vitamin D has been tentatively linked to lower incidence of cataracts, and studies indicate good D levels correlate to a lowered risk of macular degeneration as you age.
7. Lowers blood pressure– Even a single exposure significantly lowers blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure.
8. Cleanses blood– Sunlight reaches deep into the skin to cleanse the blood and blood vessels. Medical literature published in Europe showed that people with atherosclerosis (or hardened arteries) improved with sun exposure.
9. Increase oxygen flow– Sunlight increases oxygen content in human blood and it also enhances the body’s capacity to deliver oxygen to the tissues; very similar to the effects of exercise. The sun has a great effect on stamina, fitness and muscular development.
10. Improves metabolism– Several studies show correlation between sun exposure and an increase in metabolism.
So, remember to get in the sun and be smart about how much you you expose yourself to. Start small and gradually work up to longer and longer periods of exposure. Be sure to avoid burning but above all– enjoy the heat of the sun beating down upon your skin. It’s all good!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.