Strawberries are more than delicious gems bestowed on us for a short time once each year. They pack a huge healthy punch and provide us with valuable vitamins and minerals to help keep our bodies running smoothly.
Called the queen of fruits in Asia, these sweet, heart shaped berries are seriously addicting. Good thing they are so beneficial to our bodies too!
Here are the top 10 reasons to eat farm fresh strawberries:
1. Burns stored fat– The red coloring contains anthocyanins, which stimulate the burning of stored fat. According to the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, animals fed a high-fat diet along with anthocyanins gained 24 percent less weight than those who were denied anthocyanins.
2. Boost short term memory— The anthocyanins not only help burn fat, they also boost short term memory by 100 percent in 8 weeks (The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry).
3. Low in calories— One cup of strawberries contains only 54 calories and as an added bonus, they are packed with fiber.
4. Boost immunity— Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C; one serving contains about half of your daily requirement. Vitamin C is a well known immunity booster as well as a powerful, fast-working antioxidant.
5. Promotes eye health— The antioxidant properties in strawberries may also help to prevent cataracts which can lead to blindness in older age.
6. Keeps wrinkles at bay— The power of vitamin C in strawberries continues as it is vital to the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin’s elasticity and resilience.
7. Reduce inflammation— The antioxidants and phytochemicals found in strawberries may also help to reduce inflammation of the joints, which may cause arthritis and can also lead to heart disease.
8. Regulate blood pressure— Potassium is a heart healthy nutrient, and with 134 mg per serving, strawberries are considered a ‘medium source.’ Potassium can help regulate blood pressure and may even help to lower high blood pressure.
9. Promote bone health— Strawberries contain vitamin K and magnesium in addition to potassium. All as important for bone health.
10. Lower cardiovascular disease— Flavonoids, which are responsible for the color and flavor of strawberries, lower the risk for heart disease.
But then again, who really needs a reason other than their delicious flavor to eat them?
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.