“Good asparagus needs minimal treatment and is best eaten with few other ingredients.” — Yotam Ottolenghi, chef
Spring is in the air. The trees have buds, the early flowers are ever so slowly pushing their way up through the ground to give us our first colors of the season. And asparagus is on my mind.
My favorite way of preparing this delicate perennial vegetable is by roasting it. To me, roasting asparagus brings out the delicate nutty flavor hiding inside that steaming only hides. Here is my fool proof method of cooking one of my favorite seasonal vegetables.
- 1 pound asparagus, washed and trimmed by snapping the tough lower part of the stem off (watch the first 30 seconds of this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPqjGlShekE)
- 1-2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Lay washed and trimmed asparagus on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus and sprinkle with a good pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Roll the asparagus around on the baking sheet to completely coat the entire stalk. There should not be pools of oil on the pan; just enough to coat the stalk.
- Place in a 400 degree, preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Because asparagus can vary in thickness, check it after about 15 minutes. When done, it should be slightly soft but not mushy.
Enjoy the asparagus hot, or often times I will prepare several pounds of roasted asparagus at a time and eat cold dipped in vinaigrette or chopped into salads.
Another delicious way to enjoy it is warmed slightly with a fried egg on top for breakfast. Yum!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.