One of the single best ways to improve your health is to eat real, whole, unprocessed food.
And because spring is in the air, I cannot keep my thoughts from apricots these days so I am sharing my trusty Apricot Chicken recipe with you all.
It is a perfectly balanced meal for this time of year; light and delicious. This dish is easy to throw together in the afternoon to roast and let all the flavors meld together.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8-10 pastured chicken thighs, bone in.
- 4-6 ripe apricots, cut in half and stone removed
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- Olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons whole fruit apricot jam (I make my own but Whole Foods and other health food stores carry decent brands)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions over medium heat in 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened in a cast iron or other oven safe pan. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove onions to a separate plate. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken 4 pieces at a time being sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Brown the chicken on both sides and as they are finished, add them to the plate with the onions and cover with parchment paper to keep warm. You are not cooking the chicken through, just browning the outside.
- Once the last of the chicken is browned and removed from the pan, keep the pan over medium high heat and add the stock to deglaze the pan (to get up all the droppings that are stuck to the bottom of the pan from browning the chicken).
- Stir in the apricot jam and add the onions back to the pan. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Once combined, add the chicken and fresh apricots back to the pan, cover, and put in a 325 degree oven.
- Roast for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees). The sauce should be reduced down; thick and glossy.
Enjoy with a salad and quinoa!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.