Beef broth is a remarkably easy, inexpensive and healthy staple to make at home. Most of the time is spent waiting and smelling the wonderful aromas wafting through your home. You may find it difficult to wait until the product is finished before you take a taste.
The challenge, at first, may be to find grass fed beef bones. Check out your local farmer’s market or look online for grass fed beef farmers who’s near and can deliver in your area. Once you have the bones, you need little more than a handful of ingredients, clean filtered water, and time.
Roasting the bones is very important to the taste of the finished product. Skip that step and the flavor will be off. The long cooking time is critical for all of the wholesome nutrients present in the bones to leach out and into the water. The resulting broth is rich in minerals, gelatin, and nutrients.
- Several pounds of grass fed beef soup bones (5-8 lbs)
- Coarsely chopped
- 1 onion
- 2-3 carrots
- 2-3 celery stalks
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Filtered water
- Clean the bones under cold water and pat dry.
- Roast the bones, in a single layer, at 400 F for about an hour. Until the bones are well-browned and fragrant. This step is critical to produce good flavor.
- Drain off any fat.
- Place the roasted bones, vegetables and bay leaf to a large stock pot.
- Add filtered water to cover and add apple cider vinegar.
- Let sit ½ an hour on the stove with the heat off. This step helps the apple cider vinegar release the minerals and nutrients from the bone into the water.
- After ½ hour, turn the heat on high and bring the whole thing to a boil.
- Once at a boil, turn down the heat and continue to simmer for several hours. 24-36 hours is preferable. Be sure to add sufficient water to the pot when leaving it unattended.
- Throughout the cooking process, skim off any foam and add water as needed.
- When broth is finished, filter through a fine mesh sieve and bottle in mason jars. The stock should set just like gelatin and the fat should rise to the top.
Enjoy as soup, a sauce, in a stew, or just plain in a mug in the morning!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.