“Like rhubarb and strawberries… the two tastes and textures meld together into the sort of subtle transcendental oneness that we once fantasized would be our experience when we finally found the ideal mate”. – John Thorne
With Spring here, or almost here, I find myself craving lighter fare to set on my table for dinner. Fresh peas, asparagus, ramps, fiddlehead ferns and my favorite spring combination; strawberries and rhubarb.
Both strawberries and rhubarb have many health benefits but most of the time we purchase mass produced jams and fillings that are heavily laden with preservatives and refined sweeteners.
The good news is that working with these two ingredients to make a tasty jam or compote is very quick and easy. Also, the taste of homemade strawberry rhubarb jam is far superior to any store purchased jar.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam (Compote)
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 lb rhubarb, trimmed and diced
- 1 lb strawberries, washed, hulled and diced
- up to 3 Tbs raw local honey
- Juice of 1 orange
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rhubarb and saute until soft, about five minutes.
- Stir in strawberries and orange juice.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for three to four minutes, until the berries have softened but are not mushy.
- Taste. Add a tablespoon of honey at a time until desired sweetness is achieved.
- Transfer to a clean jar. Serve warm or cold on toast, chicken, over ice cream, cake or even add to my basic vinaigrette recipe. It is delicious either warm or cold from the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy this simple and quick Spring recipe.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.