Have you ever eaten a meal and an hour later feel achy and uncomfortable? Did you stop and think that what you ate may have triggered the pain? There are many foods, such as refined flours and sugars, that can cause the immune system to overstimulate which results in inflammation of the joints.
The good news is that a diet of healthy foods can accomplish just the opposite; a reduction of inflammation.
Here is a list of just a few of the foods that can help you eat healthier and may actually help you feel better by reducing the inflammation in your body.
1. Nuts– Nuts, particularly almonds and walnuts, are a source of inflammation fighting healthy fats. They also contain antioxidants which can help your body fight off and repair the damage caused by inflammation. Nuts, along with fish, whole grains and leafy greens, are a key part of the Mediterranean diet which has been shown to reduce inflammation in as little as 6 weeks.
2. Beets– The brilliant red color of this vegetable is a tip off to its equally brilliant antioxidant properties. Beets have been shown to reduce inflammation thanks to their fiber, vitamin C and plant pigments called betalains (an antioxidant that helps repair our bodies at a cellular level). Buy them with the greens attached and eat those as an additional anti-inflammatory measure.
3. Berries– Berries contain powerful chemicals called anthocyanins that are anti-inflammatory. Studies have shown, for example, that red raspberry extract helped prevent animals from developing arthritis; blueberries can help protect against intestinal inflammation; and that strawberries have people who eat more strawberries have lower levels of CRP (a globulin found in cases of acute inflammation) in their blood.
4. Herbs– Fresh herbs have a huge amount of nutrients that help to fight inflammation. Think of them as leafy greens. Herbs are loaded with vitamins, minerals like calcium, iron, and disease-fighting phytochemicals.
Changing over to a healthier, less inflammatory, diet is easy. Look at all the tasty food that comes along with a better eating regimen!
Below is a recipe to add to your repertoire of healthy recipes. I hope you enjoy!
Beet and Two Berry Salad
- 2 c wheat berries
- 2 T raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 c fresh raspberries
- 6 beets, stems and greens removed and reserved for another use
- 5 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c toasted walnuts
- 1 c pumpkin seeds
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped fine
- The zest and juice of 2 fresh limes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle beets with 2 T of the oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and wrap in aluminum foil. Place into the hot oven on a cookie sheet. Bake for 1 hour and check. They will be done when a sharp knife will be inserted easily into the beet. Cook longer if needed.
- Cook wheat berries in salted water until soft and chewy.
- Once cooked to desired consistency, drain and sprinkle with vinegar.
- Once beets are cool enough to peel, use a sharp paring knife to peel and dice the beets.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, beets, raspberries, remaining oil, walnuts, seeds, green onion, cilantro, zest and juice from the limes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper and acid (vinegar or lime juice) to taste. Served immediately warm or chill.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.