What does it feel like to read the title of this post; how to choose to be happy? Is it frightening to think that we have that much control over our lives? Does it seem impossible to achieve? Does it feel like more responsibility than you want?
Every day you choose to be happy or not. Although it may be a frightening choice, I encourage you to think of it as a ticket toward liberation. A powerful gift to influence your life in a positive way.
Here are 9 tips to begin your journey of choosing to be happy in your life.
1. Make happiness a goal– People who are happy want to be happy and make it an important goal in their lives. Learn good self-management skills, good interpersonal skills, and good career related skills. Choose to be in environments, and surround yourself with people, who make you make you happy.
2. Appreciate the small things in life– Linger on those tiny, positive moments in life and appreciate them fully. The more you focus on these small 20-30 second moments of joy, the more you will notice how often they occur during your day. Soon, you will be appreciating all of the goodness you experience instead of overlooking it.
3. Embrace mindfulness– The secret to happiness could be as simple (and difficult) as becoming more mindful. Meditation– a practice that anyone can do, anywhere, so long as they’re willing to sit and try to silence the mind– is thought to be a happiness-booster.
4. Smile– The secret to boosting happiness could be in your smile. A 2011 Michigan State University study found that workers who smiled as a result of cultivating positive thoughts exhibited improved mood and less withdrawal. Fake smiling, however, resulted in worse moods and withdrawals from work.
5. Practice gratitude– Practicing thankfulness and gratitude is a scientifically-backed way to increase happiness and it’s firmly within your control to choose to be more grateful. Grateful people tend to appreciate simple pleasures, defined as “those pleasures in life that are available to most people,” according to the Journal of Social Behavior and Personality.
6. Treat others well– Think of the golden rule. We all want to be treated well and in turn we need to treat others the way we want to be treated. Be kind to everyone you encounter and give them patience and grace.
7. Use positive language– The next time you want to speak negatively about someone or something, or you want to lash out in anger, don’t. Instead, keep it to yourself. You can find joy in the fact that you chose peace in a difficult situation.
8. Choose to be the best you that you can be– Tell the truth. Fully commit to your goals. Stop comparing yourself to others. Love who you are and accept yourself. Never stop trying to be the best representation of yourself that you can be.
9. Help others– Care about people. In life you get out of it what you put into it so choose to make a positive impact in someone else’s life. Chances are, you will make a positive impact on your own.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.