I’m not talking about the ‘open up a can and dump the contents into a pot’ type of soup. I am referring to the delicious, deep, dark brown goodness that is homemade bone broth.
Lucky for me, bone broth is not only delicious and warming, it is one of the best foods I can eat for my health. Here is a list of all of the reasons why:
1. Builds strong joints– According to Dr. Cate Shanahan,
“The health of your joints depends upon the health of the collagen in your ligaments, tendons, and on the ends of your bones… including glycosaminoglycans, very special molecules that help keep our joints healthy.”
Bone broth is loaded with glycosaminoglycans. It gives you all the nutrition you need to maintain healthy and strong joints.
2. Makes your hair, skin, and nails healthy– We have all heard of collagen treatments used to make hair, nails and skin appear younger. In fact, some people pay a lot of money for these treatments because as we age, production of collagen declines and we start to see the outward signs of aging. Bone broth is overflowing with collagen and helps to keep your skin looking youthful and healthy (and it is a lot cheaper than the high end collagen treatments!)
3. Minerals– Both macro minerals and trace minerals are found in properly made bone broth. As we have discussed, the modern diet is woefully lacking in these nutrients, and bone broth is a cheap and dense source of them. Bone broth is also an excellent source of magnesium and calcium.
4. Easily absorbable– This is a really big deal. All of the nutrients and minerals found in bone broth is in a form that is easy for the body to absorb and readily use. This means that these nutrients are highly bioavailable, so they don’t require our digestive system to do much to use them at the cellular level. Amazing!
5. Healing to the digestive system– Because of it’s high content of gelatin, which helps to ease the digestion of cooked foods, bone broth allows our digestive system to heal after years of eating poorly. The nutrients help to heal the lining of the gut.
6. Reduces your need for protein– This is because it is an excellent source of the amino acids arginine and glycine. It is what we call ‘protein sparing,’ which means your body can make better use of the protein you do eat, which causes you to not need as much.
7. Cheap– Bone broth is extremely economical. If you find that it is difficult to eat healthy, incorporate bone broth into your daily routine. Making it requires little more than bones (which are cheap as they typically go into the garbage) and water. It is amazing how with care and patience, these two ingredients are transformed into a nutrient dense, healing wonder!
8. It is delicious– Any soup, stew, or sauce made from homemade bone broth is a very different thing from that made from MSG laden broth out of a can, box, or packet diluted in water. There is no comparison– once you use homemade, you will never use store bought broth again!
Please be on the lookout for my upcoming recipe on how to make basic bone broth.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.