Although I do not understand it at all, I hear there are some people in the world who do not like the flavor or smell of garlic. However, many cuisines rely heavily on it and those rank among my favorites! In addition to adding depth of flavor to foods, garlic has been used for centuries as a medicinal ingredient.
Good news to those who do not like to eat garlic, also known as the stinking rose. The health benefits can be reached by not only consuming the actual plant, but there are many high quality supplements that can be used instead.
Why would anyone want to consume garlic? Keep reading to find eight ways garlic can improve your general health.
1. Immune Booster– Garlic can be used to keep those cold weather colds and flus at bay. The food’s antioxidants can help your immune system run well; in addition to simply eating it, you could also try steeping garlic into a tea. Chop some of it and pour boiling water over and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Add some lemon and raw honey to taste and sip to help quicken the healing process if you do come down with a sickness.
2. Antioxidants– A great reason to chop up some garlic and add it to your next meal is that garlic as a great source of antioxidants. We all heard that antioxidants play an important role for our health.
3. Heart Health– Garlic can benefit the health of your respiratory and circulatory systems in different ways. It can help reduce high blood pressure, high cholesterol, coronary heart disease and artery hardening.
4. Inflammation Reducer– Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties- one study identified four sulphuric compounds in it that helped cut inflammation. It is especially promising to use directly on psoriasis, a skin condition related to inflammation.
5. Combat Allergies– Garlic’s anti-inflammatory properties help the body fight against allergies. It has been shown to improve allergic airway inflammation and raw garlic juice may be used to immediately stop the itching due to rashes and bug bites brought on by allergic reactions.
6. Treat Skin Conditions– The chemical ajoene found in garlic may help treat fungal skin infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
7. Blood Thinner– The anti-clotting properties of ajoene found in garlic help in preventing the formation of blood clots in the body. Hence, be aware that it may also increase the risk of bleeding after surgery.
8. Acne Treatment– It might not be a main ingredient in your drugstore acne medication, but garlic makes a great natural remedy. Its antioxidants kill bacteria, so, next time you look in the mirror and are faced with a pimple, rub a slice of garlic directly on it as an effective topical treatment.
Many people opt to purchase pre-chopped, preserved garlic to keep in their refrigerator. Please do not do this. Not only are all of the health benefits removed, but it just doesn’t taste as good.
If you find peeling garlic too monumental a task to bother with, view the video below. This method is so quick and easy and it REALLY WORKS! Soon you will have no excuse not to use fresh garlic in your daily cooking.
Once your garlic is peeled, use this method to chop. I like to smash the garlic down much more, almost flat, before I begin chopping.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.