Here is a list of tried and true ways to incorporate more bone broth into your diet to help heal your gut and improve your general wellbeing.
1. Sip as a tea– One of the easiest way to consume more bone broth is to sip it as a tea from a mug. Heat the broth in a stainless steel pot (please do not microwave), sprinkle with some good quality sea salt, and sip. You can take it first thing in the morning, after a large glass of water, or in the evening on an empty stomach. The broth promotes digestion and assimilation of minerals. If you would like, some grated ginger, fresh herbs or a teaspoon of pure organic coconut oil mixed in just before serving is lovely.
Many people who make perpetual soup (http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/) consume the broth in this way.
2. Soup or sauce– Bone broth is the original base for all soups and sauces. Anytime a recipe calls for bouillon reconstituted in water or boxed stock, reach for your bone broth instead. Your body will thank you!
3. To cook grains– Whenever you are cooking grains like barley, rice, or wheat berries, instead of using water, reach for the bone broth. Not only will the broth infuse vital minerals into the grain, it will also add the most wonderful flavor.
4. Vegetables– Whenever you sautee or cook vegetables, use bone broth in lieu of water. The veggies will absorb the liquid and all of the healthy gelatin and nutrients with it. When mashing potatoes, use bone broth in place of some of the milk or use the broth as a braising liquid for cabbage, brussels sprouts, or braised greens.
5. Left overs– When reheating leftover food on the stove top, we often have to add some liquid to the pan. Again, instead of reaching for the water, reach for the bone broth instead. This is such a simple way to get more bone broth into your body.
6. Smoothies– This may seem odd to you at first, but try it! I think you will be surprised by just how little you taste the broth. Freeze the broth in ice cube trays and add it to your blender with other smoothie ingredients. Delicious!
7. Pancakes/baked goods– When mixing up your batter for pancakes or other quick baked goods, mix in ½ cup of bone broth in place of some liquid in the recipe. You won’t even know it is there and it will add nutrition to a normally nutritionally devoid food.
8. Eggs– If you are striving to eat healthier, chances are you are eating a lot of eggs. Instead of scrambling your eggs with water prior to cooking, add bone broth to the eggs instead. You won’t even notice the difference.
Try a few of these easy tips and you will be using up your bone broth with no problems. Enjoy!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.