Finally. Spring. Sun beams shining on my skin. The first green buds popping out. Asparagus. Yellow and purple and blue crocus emerging from the ground. Daffodils. Tulips.
Strawberries. Finally. Strawberries.
Somehow my tastebuds just know it is Spring. I want to eat strawberries with reckless abandon; shoving the sweet, red berries into my mouth without a care to who is looking or how much bright red juice flows down my chin and fingers.
There is nothing quite like the taste of fresh, seasonal, Spring strawberries. Maybe we crave them so much because they are loaded with nutrition. Asian countries refer to Strawberries as “the queen of fruits” because compared to other fruits like apples, oranges or bananas, they have the highest amount of nutrients.
Here are 8 reasons to indulge in Spring strawberries.
1. Helps burn fat– Strawberries contain anthocyanins, a chemical which stimulates the body to burn stored fat. According to the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, when a group of animals was fed a high-fat diet along with anthocyanins, they gained 24 percent less weight than the animals eating the high-fat diet without the added anthocyanins.
2. Boosts short term memory– Another benefit the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry reported is that anthocyanins boost short term memory by 100 percent in eight weeks.
3. Lower in calories– One cup of strawberries contains only 54 calories whereas one cup of apple contains 65 calories and one cup of orange contains 84 calories.
4. Lowers inflammation– According to the Harvard School of Public Health, strawberries lowers blood levels of C-relative protein (CRP), a signal of inflammation in the body. In a study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week were 14 percent less likely to have elevated levels of CRP.
5. Lower cardiovascular disease– Flavonoids, which make up the color and flavor of strawberries, lower the risk for heart disease.
6. Better bone health– Potassium, vitamin K and magnesium are important minerals for bone health and are abundant in strawberries.
7. Anti- aging solution– Strawberries are filled with biotin which builds strong hair and nails as well as, ellagic acid, and antioxidant which helps prevent skin from sagging.
8. Better eye health– Eating three or more servings of strawberries may lower the risk of macular degeneration according to the Archives of Ophthalmology.
So not only do strawberries taste incredible, but they are also a wonderful, healthy addition to your diet.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.