Have you ever gone on a lengthy road trip and arrived feeling achy and tired? Have you ever thought about what you ate along the way? If you are like most people, you stocked up on a whole lot of munchies for the ride; chocolate, chips, soda, maybe some pretzels or candy too. Then, for meals, you more than likely stopped off at a drive thru restaurant to order food on the go. Add in long periods of sitting and that makes a perfect recipe for inflammation and fatigue.
Most people find it difficult to remain dedicated to real food eating while traveling. I hope you find these tips useful on your next road trip and you are inspired to give it a try!
1. Plan ahead– Begin thinking about your food choices at least a week before departure. This will give you a lot of time to come up with a list of items that will travel well.
2. Use a small cooler– This is huge. It is a fact of life that real food goes bad. By using a cooler you expand your food possibilities exponentially. You can pack nitrate free lunch meat, hard boiled eggs, tuna salad, guacamole… anything your heart desires.
3. Prep your food before you leave– You will be more likely to eat the food you pack if it is ready to eat when you pack it. Peel and cut veggies and fruit prior to leaving. I like to pack ‘snack boxes’ which generally include some veggies, dip (like hummus, guacamole or salsa) fruit and rolled lunch meat or nitrate free jerky all packed into a stainless steel lunch box container. That way it is ready to grab and eat on the way.
4. Choose your junk food wisely– I like to snack along the way just as much as anyone. I try to make wise choices as to what ‘junk’ I am eating though. One of my favorite snacks for the road is tortilla chips and salsa. My strategy is to make sure all of the ingredients in the salsa are pronounceable and I know what they are. My tortilla chips are always organic and non-GMO and I make sure to include carrot sticks or apple slices as part of my snack to fill me up and help me to limit the amount of chips I eat.
5. Pack your own water– Not only will it help you save money, but you will never run out if you pack your own water. Depending on the length of my trip, I usually bring two gallons of filtered water with me. This way I can refill my 32 oz stainless steel bottle when I stop to refill for gas and I don’t have to spend the money on questionable water in the gas station. I usually have plenty left over to give me a good supply of clean water once I get to my destination and buys me some time to secure a new source of clean water.
6. Pack a few sweets– Don’t deny yourself some high quality dark chocolate, dried fruit, or some other healthy sweet. If you know you have a treat in the car, you will be less likely to cave in while at a rest stop and purchase a king size candy bar.
7. Choose wisely at rest stops– If you find yourself hungry and in need of purchasing snacks, make good choices. There are always a wide array of nuts in a convenience store. They are a great choice so long as you avoid any flavored ones that are filled with chemical flavors and preservatives. Increasingly, gas station stores are offering fresh fruit too!
As you can see, with a little forethought and preparation, it is easy to eat healthy on any road trip. Try it and see if you feel better the next time you arrive at your destination after a long drive.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.