I have posted many times about one of the three Taoist treasures…. Chi. Chi is our everyday energy that we replenish through breathing and through digesting our food.
Creating chi from food in the best way isn’t just about what you eat. What you take into your body is important, it’s also about the way you eat. Like with correct breathing (please see my previous post about proper breathing), not enough people focus on the correct way of eating. Even if you eat the healthiest stuff on the planet, if you wolf it down in a cortisol-induced frenzy as many do, then it will harm you – possibly even more than if you ate a steak and kidney pie with chips very slowly. It’s that big a factor.
I hope the following tips will help you have more everyday energy and also improve your digestion in general!
1. Chew, chew, chew — All digestion begins in the mouth. Unlike many other animals such as cows and lizards, we do not have sharp objects in our stomachs to break down the food we have eaten. Instead, we have teeth in our mouths. Chew your food slowly and thoroughly mixing it with as much saliva as possible. To be totally graphic, your food is not ready to be swallowed until it resembles a thick soup. Only then, is that food ready for the stomach to continue to digest.
2. Avoid antacids — You need your stomach acid to further digest your food. Stomach acid sterilizes food, breaks down protein into amino acids making it bloodstream ready, and provokes the pancreas to dump neutralizing bicarbonate of soda into the upper small intestine to allow the absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream. Popping antacids eventually impairs digestion, which leads to poor nutrient absorption, which ultimately leads to malnutrition despite plenty of calories.
3. Do not drink during meals — Drinking water dilutes stomach acid (see above tip) and digestive enzymes. The best time to drink clean, filtered water is first thing in the morning, during exercise, and between meals.
4. Eat sitting down in a calm environment — Please don’t watch the news or have a heated debate during a meal. This will cause stress and release cortisol which can hurt the immune system and affect blood sugar levels. Also, if you are calm and still, you will more likely take the time to properly chew your food.
5. Stay hydrated — Be sure to drink plenty of clean, filtered water between meals. Begin the day drinking at least 1 liter of water to start your day properly hydrated and to help clean out your digestive tract after the overnight fast. Every aspect of your good health relies on having enough fluids.
6. Add probiotics to your daily routine — Start adding a good quality probiotic to your daily routine. Incorporating cultured foods and drinks into your life such as yogurt, miso, kefir, water kefir, kombucha, and cultured vegetables is a great to improve digestion and overall health. These foods have been around for centuries for a reason.
7. Eat clean– Eat simple and clean. Eat only foods that you know what they are. Avoid processed foods and cook your meals from scratch. Our digestive system is not designed to process junk so when we eat junk, we feel like junk.
I hope these 7 simple steps help with your digestive issues. Along with breathing, a good digestion is your key to improved everyday energy!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.