“Don’t dig your grave with your own knife and fork”. — English Proverb
In the Taoist tradition, the Kidney Organ system is one of the most dynamic and important. Typical physical symptoms of weak kidneys include joint problems and anything relating to chronic inflammation especially pain in the lower back and problems with the knees and ankles.
Here are 5 tips to reduce chronic inflammation and begin living a life with less pain:
1. Eat better— Ditch processed foods and switch to a plant based, whole, nutrient dense food diet. Leave refined sugar and flour, processed junk and animal products behind by adding a variety of plant based whole foods to your diet. These foods will flood your body with the vitamins, minerals, cancer fighting phytochemicals, antioxidants and fiber it needs to recover from chronic inflammation.
2. Focus on gut health— Your gut holds approximately 60-70 percent of your immune system, so it stands to reason that it would be a great place to reduce chronic inflammation. And if your gut is in bad shape, you can only imagine that your immune system is in some serious trouble. A great way to start is by adding a high quality probiotic to your daily routine.
3. Identify and address food allergies and chronic (or hidden) infections— You could be fighting a losing battle if you are ignoring potential food sensitivities and/or infections. If your body is working to cope and fight these challenges everyday, you can be sure that you are stoking the fires of inflammation on a regular basis. Gluten, soy, dairy, eggs and yeast are common food allergens that might be distracting your immune system every time you sit down for a meal.
4. Relax and rest more— Your body is hard at work repairing and restoring your cells while you sleep. Most doctors recommend 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. If you are shorting yourself sleep time, you’re cheating your immune system, which means it needs to kick into high gear in an effort to keep you well (inflammation). Stress goes hand in hand with a lack of sleep. When you are stressed out all the time, you are also producing more of the hormone cortisol– inflammation’s best friend. Naturally, focusing on stress reduction can jump start your efforts to decrease inflammation. Go take a walk, do yoga, meditate, unplug or take a long vacation. Your health needs it!
5. Reduce toxins in your food, home and personal care products— Your body’s alarm system goes off when you absorb toxic chemicals and pesticides through your digestive tract and your skin. Cut down your exposure by eating organic foods whenever possible and choose non-toxic personal care and cleaning products. Check out the following links for valuable information on living a less toxic lifestyle:
EWG’s database for skin care; http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
The dirty dozen and clean fifteen list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
I hope these 5 suggestions to reduce inflammation will get you started on a path to healing and a much more active and pain free life!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.