Have you noticed the latest buzz about Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) lately? It seems I read recipes and health tips on a daily basis about how great ACV is for our general health and wellbeing. But what is it? And how exactly do we use it?
ACV is a fermented product made from crushed and aged apples. It is naturally high in phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium and other minerals. The health benefits of ACV have been known for centuries, as least as far back as the time of Hippocrates, the father of medicine, in ancient Greece.
When selecting ACV for use in or on your body, not just any ACV will do. Be sure to select organic, unpasteurized (raw), vinegars containing ‘the Mother.’ The ‘Mother’ is a colony of beneficial bacteria with many health benefits. It is what is used to begin the fermentation process and is what contributes to the beneficial qualities of the vinegar.
10 tips to incorporating ACV into your daily routine:
1. Reduce acid reflux and heartburn– ACV mimics the acidic environment of the stomach and helps food break down. Because reflux and heartburn are often caused by too little stomach acid rather than too much, many people report reduced symptoms after drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon or two of ACV.
2. Fight Candida (yeast)– If you suffer from yeast overgrowth in your gut, and most people do, ACV might help. Research has shown the acid and enzymes in ACV can kill excess yeast in the body. For those who may have a severe yeast infestation, symptoms could get worse, or you could develop flu like symptoms, before you feel better. This is due to something called yeast die off. It is a situation where the yeast is dying faster than your body can filter it out and results in a sick feeling. It may seem strange, but that is a good thing. It means your body is on its way to healing. Consider beginning to take 1 tsp-1 tbsp of ACV daily in water on an empty stomach twice daily to detox from yeast.
3. Reduce painful sunburned skin or bug bites– ACV can help relieve the pain and swelling associated with both. For sunburns apply ACV and water (25/75 mix) with a cotton ball or washcloth directly to the skin. You could also soak in a warm bath with 1 cup ACV. For bug bites, apply a 50/50 ACV and water mixture directly to the bite or soak the area in vinegar water.
4. As a hair rinse– Ditch the conditioner and switch to a ACV rinse! Really! It sounds strange but works wonders. After shampooing, mix about one cup water with 1 tbsp of vinegar (put in an empty and clean conditioner bottle) and squirt all over your hair. Let sit on your hair a minute or two and rinse. Not only will it soften and condition, it will also add shine.
5. Balance your bodies pH– The body constantly strives to achieve a state of equilibrium. ACV helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level. As I’ve written about many times, higher body acid levels can lead to many health problems including inflammation, lack of energy, digestion problems and higher risk of infection. Sip ACV in water a few times a day to help keep your pH in balance.
6. Help you detox– As part of balancing the body’s pH levels, ACV creates an overall detoxification of the body. Research show that it can help stimulate cardiovascular circulation and help detoxify the liver.
7. Supports the lymph system– ACV helps the body to break up mucus throughout the body and cleanse the lymph nodes. Research has shown it helps with allergies because of its ability to reduce mucus and sinus congestion.
8. Helps tummy troubles– The pectin in ACV helps treat diarrhea by forming bulk fibrous matter. The pectin also forms a protective coat for soothing the colon lining and intestinal spasms. Try mixing one or two tbsp into water or clear juice like apple juice.
9. Soothe a sore throat– As soon as you feel the prickle of a sore throat, take some ACV to help head off the infection at the pass. Most germs can’t survive the acidic environment vinegar creates. Mix ¼ cup of ACV in one cup warm water and one tbsp honey. Sip like tea every hour or two.
10. Reduce swelling– Rubbing ACV onto swollen hands or feet reduces swelling. A wonderful treat during pregnancy!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.