Tiredness is natural if you have worked hard. Tiredness means ‘job done,’ and as a result there is more melatonin going round your system and less serotonin. This is your body’s signal that it’s time to rest. Conversely, exhaustion including adrenal fatigue, thyroid deficiency, fibromyalgia, ME and chronic fatigue isn’t natural or easy to recover from. Below is a list of simple steps you can take to naturally increase your energy levels. You can choose to begin with one or two of these suggestions and go from there.
1. Drink Taoist tonic herbal teas– When you are depleted, it’s no good beating yourself up if you don’t go to the gym when you know you should. When you are not depleted, you have energy and naturally feel like you want to go without having to force yourself. Forcing yourself to do something you should be doing never works. Drink tonic tea consistently for a period of time and you will rebuild your energy reserves and naturally feel you want to do these things.
Drink the teas to start with and then you can shift out of the cycle of energy deprivation and recharge the batteries.
2. Play more– Playing a game keeps your mind working (versus, say, watching TV), but doesn’t have the energy zapping stresses of work. Go ahead and play that quick game of Scrabble or Go Fish to relax. It keeps your mind active without the debilitating stress.
3. Get plenty of sleep– As silly as it sounds, you do need to sleep more to feel more energized. Shut your laptop, dim the lights and try to get a solid 7 hours of sleep per night. When you are well rested, you will be better at your job, relationships, and life overall.
4. Laugh more– Laughter is great medicine for exhaustion. Make sure you laugh regularly to keep your mood up. Seek out funny people or subscribe to a daily email joke.
5. Avoid using stimulants– Stop using coffee, caffeine, energy drinks, and sugary foods or drinks to boost energy. These stimulants provide quick bursts of energy by draining the adrenal glands. The problem with this is that your adrenals can become exhausted and you will become addicted to these stimulants for your energy source. This creates a vicious cycle of dependency. It may be very tough to kick the habit but in the long run it will be well worth the effort.
6. Wake up at the same time everyday. Even weekends– This sets your body clock. Otherwise, you’ll be wide awake when you should be asleep. Or worse, asleep when you should be awake! The key is to go to bed at the same time every night so that you do wake up at the same time every morning.
7. Drink plenty of water– Dehydration is a sinister cause of fatigue because it slowly creeps up on you. If you consistently drink less than 8 cups of water a day, you may be sluggish all the time. Get a 32 oz water bottle. Your goal is to polish off 2 of those a day. Try it for a week and see if your general energy level increases.
8. Eat low glycemic (or low carb) foods– Trade in good, complex carbohydrates (low glycemic) for the bad, simple carbs (sugar). Carbohydrates with a high glycemic index means the sugar is more easily digested by your body. That results in a spike in energy followed by a low-sugar crash.
High glycemic index foods to avoid include white bread, potato, and high sugar foods like sodas. Low glycemic foods include fruits and vegetables, grains, meats and pasta.
9. Get plenty of Vitamin C and B Vitamins– Get a daily dose of citrus fruits or a vitamin C tablet. Study after study shows the correlation between citric acid deficiency and chronic fatigue. Vitamin C also helps you absorb more nutrients from food.
B vitamins cover a range of bodily functions, but most B vitamins are involved in the process of converting blood sugar into usable energy. To ensure you get the proper amount of B vitamins, eat a balanced diet.
10. Take a walk outside– Getting outside for some fresh air, a change of scenery, and a quick walk to get your blood going will do wonders for your mood and motivation. Seeing the sun is a signal to your body that it’s not bedtime yet. Take a walk to help clear your head.
It is my wish that by doing just one or two of these suggestions, you are able to see a difference in your energy levels and feel more vibrant very soon!
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.