Have you noticed everywhere you look lately, there are dozens of whole and fortified foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. It’s no wonder why. Omega-3 fatty acids have been proven to lower the risk of heart disease, help depression, diabetes, decrease inflammation, lower blood pressure, boost brain health and help other chronic illnesses.
Here is a list of foods you will want to add to your shopping list to help you and your family get plenty of those Omega-3’s on a daily basis.
1. Flaxseed– Flaxseed is one of the most highly recommended plant sources for Omega-3s. Ground flaxseed is a staple in many kitchens because it keeps for a long time in the freeer, and because flaxseed is almost tasteless. It can be easily thrown into cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, and homemade baked goods.
2. Chia Seeds– Chia seeds are another plant source of Omega-3s that are easy to sneak into your diet. You can throw dia seeds into stir fry, salads, dips, smoothies and more.
3. Hemp Seeds– Vegan and gluten-free, help seeds also have the most essential fatty acids of any nut or seed and a perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 (the most ideal ratio for health). They are also high in protein, minerals and rare polyunsaturated fatty acids like gammalinolenic acid (GLA) and stearidonic acid (SDA). Like flax and chia seeds, you can sprinkle them into salads or baked goods.
4. Cauliflower– Most people are unaware that cauliflower contains a good amount of Omega-3 essential fatty acids, making this veggie great for heart health. It also contains many heart healthy nutrients including potassium, magnesium and niacin.
5. Hummus– Hummus can thank its richness in Omega-3s to the tahini from which it is made. Tahini is made from Sesame seeds which are a great brain food because of its high Omega-3 content.
6. Brussles Sprouts– One serving of Brussles sprouts contains about 430 milligrams of alpha-linolenic acid– more than one third of the daily ALA Omega-3 amount recommended by the National Academy of Sciences.
7. Eat more Fish– Fatty saltwater fish are the best to choose when intentionally trying to increase your Omega-3 consumption. Fish such as salmon, herring and to a lesser extent tuna are the best choices but all seafood contain some Omega-3s to varying degrees. Be sure to bake or steam the fish for the maximum health benefit as frying breaks the Omega-3s down and renders them unusable by the body.
8. Eat A Salad– Green leafy veggies are rich in Omega-3s. Best to use spinach, watercress, kale, mint, or parsley for maximum benefits.
9. Take a Supplement– Find a high quality fish oil with essential DHAs and EPAs at your local health food store or holistic practitioner. Be sure to select ones that are NOT shelf stable. The best fish oils will be found in the refrigerated section.
10. Eat More Berries– Lucky for fruit lovers, berries are an excellent source of Omega-3s. Raspberries and strawberries are low-calorie, high nutrient options for reaching your omega-3 goals. Once cup of berries delivers between 4 and 6 percent of the RDI for Omega-3 fatty acids.
On your next trip to the supermarket, add a few of these healthy foods to your list. With time it will become habit to throw many of these items into your shopping cart and cook them for you and your family. I hope you find it easy to increase Omega-3 fatty acids and give your body what it needs to be healthy.
Elwin is also the Founder of Complete Detox Academy, Taoist Health Academy, the Health Coaching Institute and High Energy Academy, as well as the author of 'the Easy Exhaustion Cure' and 'the 4 Step Safe and Effective Detox Action Plan'.
Elwin is highly Enthusiastic about empowering people to feel Energized, Joyful and Alive, Naturally and Sustainably, and has worked over 5 years with over 1000 clients towards this goal. Elwin is particularly passionate about working with clients who are highly committed to reaching high levels of Health, Energy and Wellbeing, by natural and sustainable means.
Elwin has always been interested in Health since childhood. With a mother who had cancer 4 times, and a father with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Elwin is determined to get to the Root Causes of what really creates Disease, and what it really takes to have Outstanding Health and Wellbeing. After suffering from Health Challenges all his life, Elwin became determined, in 2007, to 'Get his Energy back or Die Trying', and, with this level of Resolve, made rapid progress, after a few false starts, which led him naturally, organically, after many requests, to dedicate himself full time to helping others get the kind of Results that he had achieved.